Sunday, November 1, 2009

Comparing the Contrasts






Two mornings, about 3 days apart, and the conditions couldn't be more different. The brighter set features sunlight breaking through intense, glowering cloud cover, so that the backdrop was darkness and the foreground was bathed in golden light.

The foggier views are dimmer, darker, mistier. I've tried to pair up similar views for the fun of the comparison. While I was shooting the fall foliage color down in Missouri, we were losing what was left of the year's foliage up north here. The hard frosts have turned all the corn to a dry, golden texture.

With weather this extreme and changeable, it really makes sense to keep the camera at the ready! Unfortunately, I forgot to grab it for my evening walk with Dakota where the sun was setting and the moon was rising. Oh well, maybe tonight?

A few other Autumn notes:
-- The Canadian geese have been very active. I've been told that the adults must teach the new youngsters about flying in formation before their final migration begins...but I'm not sure if this is true. But they are constantly flying around and honking like crazy.
--I'm actually waiting and listening for the Sand Hill Crane migration to fly overhead. They are usually up so high, they are hard to spot EXCEPT that they are so noisy (raucous!) that if I'm on hand when this event begins, it gives me a thrill to watch them.
--And finally, although I personally don't eat meat, I do allow one friend, who is an experienced bow hunter, to prowl our acreage here in search of deer in season. He is a true hunter, who dresses and consumes what he kills, and is very grateful for this food! Plus, there is a lot of overpopulation pressure by deer in our area as there are no natural predators. For this reason, the hunting season is necessary. Growing up as a farm girl, I don't mind guns for hunting...but I don't allow them on the farm anymore because too many hunters get too nutty and careless in season. It's bad enough it sounds like we're in a battle around here during the annual deer gun hunting weekends.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

i love the contrast in your photos! very sharp. the geese are starting to arrive here for the winter. they like to plant themselves in the little bay at the marina. there is usually a little water flow, but otherwise it is frozen. i don't understand why they like to be in that frozen water. funny.

have a wonderful day my friend...hugz!

Rose Clearfield said...

I love the comparison shots! I have thought about doing something similar before but have never actually taken the time for it. Very cool!

threadsofmagique said...

What amazing photos! Each is beautiful on its own, but the contrast between them adds so much

Sandee said...

Your photography is breathtakingly beautiful.

Have a terrific day. :)

Lenox Knits said...

Wow. Absolutely stunning work. I'm loving your comparison shots. I can see such a major growth in your skills as time goes on. It really does just take a lot of practice and time to develop a eye, something I keep reminding myself. I will probably refer to this post in my blog later this week. Do you mind if I use one of your pictures in my post with a link back to you?

Amy Lilley Designs said...

Well done...love the compositions of contrasts...and it is so true, how, if we are paying attention, especially w/ our cameras, there is a wonderful story to be told...CONTRASTS!!!...love it...:))

Ann said...

What dramatic comparisons those are. Amazing what a difference a few days can make. That first photo is spectacular I love it

Lin said...

I love the farm fields through the seasons and the patchwork quilt that they form upon the land. There is just something comforting to me in seeing rows of corn against a blue sky. Ahhh. Lovely photos as usual. :)

Unknown said...

WOW...the first photo is a most definite winner. Its 3D effects grab your viewer and does not want to let go :)
Awesome photos !

Anonymous said...

Wow, you make me more jealous of your surroundings everyday. I may be able to transform the inside of my house into a gallery, but can't create what you have outside! I really need to get out of the city, no?

Lynda Lehmann said...

Lovely post and photos to illustrate your point. The light and angle of a shot sure change everything!

I'm with you on having an aversion to the deer hunting season. We see a lot of it in Maine and often, the hunters--with fingers on the trigger--are way too close for comfort.

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

Wow..beautiful captured! It's getting very cold here in Michigan, but we have no fog..so this is really wonderful to see!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin