Thursday, August 19, 2010

Something from Nothing

I've had this bracelet or cuff structure in my head, but just out of reach, for nearly 2 years now. I've tried a few "false starts" but it just wouldn't come together for me so I kept putting the idea away for "later." Meanwhile, when I would spot "stone tubes" or "cylinders" I'd buy them and add them to my cache because I truly believed I could eventually solve this puzzle.


amazonite, silk, leather, button


Well, I can hardly believe it, but a couple of weeks ago, I finally began to make more serious progress towards bringing this idea from inside my mind out into the "real world"....one of my definitions of making something from nothing.

adventurine, linen, leather, button


moss agate, sterling silver, silk, leather, button


I don't usually complain when in the throes of creation...but I must confess: these are pretty difficult to make so far. I love the way they look, the way they are coming together, how tough and sturdy they are. They definitely pass the comfort test as I think they wear like a wrist watch. With the stash of "tubes" & cool buttons I've collected, there are a lot of variations in pattern and color waiting in the wings.


pietersite, linen, leather, button

But I'm becoming resigned to the fact that there just aren't any easy short cuts to pull them together as they use a bit of sewing, weaving and crochet and incorporate stone tubes, maybe some metal beads, hefty round leather, and silk or linen, plus a button. And there are quite a number of steps. I guess I've made about 10 different ones by now, each time trying to get a little smoother at it, maybe a little faster, but I guess I'm not a machine or a factory so stitch by stitch, and stone by stone, they are brought into the world.

As I write this, they aren't quite in my Etsy shop yet (many other new bracelets have been listed the past few days!) I'm still giving careful thought to sizing although, since many of them are unisex, probably small, medium and large will be the solution to this. But I decided to share these thoughts because it's not often I am inclined to share a bit of the "struggle" behind a given piece or structure so I thought it might be interesting.

Keep cool and have a great weekend!!

10 comments:

Ann said...

Those are very cool. I really like them.

Lin said...

Oooooh! I LOVE Those! I need a faraway shot to see how big that is on your arm. I really like the leather and the silver closure.

Amy said...

Oh, you did a great job- they are very pretty! I have a few ideas in my head that I can't get right in real life...hopefully one day I'll make them work! :D

sandy petals said...

Those are fantastic!

Regina said...

Very UNIQUE!!!!!!!!!

Hugs,
Regi

BEadECLECTIC said...

These are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I love it! I'm glad you stuck with it. :)

http://www.classicnycstory.com

Anonymous said...

I like these very much - particularly the first one - Very, very nice!

Anonymous said...

I love them, they're so earthy! I love how you put it, I can hardly believe something from my mind exists in the real world- so true. Sometimes we as artists can't get over that concept while others can never know what it was like before this object existed so can't comprehend that aspect of creating. It's funny- a friend of mine was just talking about how she thought it was lame when poets say it took me a year to write this. I was so mad I could have just spit at her- the thing that is so invisible about art is the most difficult. But really, the only way to discover this feeling is if you yourself create.

Artsnark said...

ooh- these are lovely & really unique

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin