Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Moving into Summer Mode


So I cannot remember when I took such a long break from writing a new post, tending to be that ultra responsible once a day blogger for many months now....but hey, life got in the way!! So I can't be wordless this Wednesday, I want to share tales of the move and transition now in progress, from "winter studio" to "summer studio."

Normally this time of year, I would just be packing some things up and moving to the campground...but part of the reason for my absence from my blog here is I was just overwhelmed by Mother's Day orders the past several days....29 pieces made to fill about 16 orders in just two weeks...which might seem pretty doable in "winter mode" but starting May 1, the WillOaks Campground reopened for 2010--it was a lot all at once!

Last summer, I made a lot of progress in turning one end of my camper into an "art studio." The whole floor had been damaged by winter water and in the process of removing and replacing it, I discovered all this new space...by leaving out this sort of couchy-folding bed thingy, which was basically very uncomfortable anyway. I haven't quite figured out the right work table or bench for this end of the camper, but I'm looking!! And I'm hoping that as weather permits, I'll figure out some kind of system to sit on my new deck, in the shade, to work on some things, too.


Mind you, this is all only possible during the slow days...often, the place is hopping and when my last couple of packages are posted tomorrow, I plan to turn my attention to setting up all our different paper systems out there: registration, reservations, cash box, car tags, etc. and getting myself, Dakota and probably the Purrmeister all settled in.


This weekend, I was delighted to see some of the full time campers move in for summer...some brand new, some regulars.....and to greet a number of our 'fans' who showed up opening day because our fishing pond really rocks, if you're into sport fishing....but I've been feeling pretty scattered and so this week, before the weekend crowd gets here, I hope to be more into the summer mode.....

I realized when talking to some folks the other day that this year is the 30th anniversary of our campground!! Back in 1980, while I was starting grad school, my dad was building this little corner of paradise as a retirement project. It has matured into a lovely little park with a lively tent and camper population for almost 6 months of the year. And it's sort of fallen to me to keep things going as my dad began to fail about 7 years ago....and now, excuse me while I go finish some packing here....and I'll check back within a few days!! Thanks so much for stopping by and happy Wednesday!!

17 comments:

Duni said...

Wow, your area is lovely!

Wish I could switch to summer mode, but the temperatures have dropped again - there was ice on my car this morning!!

have a pleasant day!

Buggys said...

The pictures at the top of this post are just beautiful!

Lin said...

Can I pack my tent and come stay there??? It looks so lovely!

I've been crazy busy too--that is just May. Ugh. No time for the blog right now.

Anonymous said...

Wow Karen,

You are a very busy lady. Hope the extra room makes it easier.

Ann said...

It's just beautiful there. Do you have a little spot for me and Duke? :) You do sound really busy but it also sounds to me like a lot of fun

Anonymous said...

Wow that is gorgeous. So you live in a camper during camping season instead of your house?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hot Rocks said...

First of all...congratulations for having so many Mothers Day orders! You must share your secrets! Second, your studio move sounds lovely, everything looks so green! I am jealous. Our Spring is especially late this year, and it is still snowy and cold here. I am really yearning for some warm weather!

Jen said...

That sounds like so much fun! I love camping, the people at the campground, all of it. I bet you meet some great characters.

Split Rock Ranch said...

Wow - you have been ultra-busy! I got tired just reading about all you've done lately and all you have left to do. I hope it settles down soon for you. The photos are absolutely gorgeous! The lake is ice free here now, too, but things aren't nearly as green as they are at your place! Have a fabulous weekend!

tkdesigns4u said...

Your campround looks so beautiful and peaceful! I hope you are able to get yourself into summer mode quickly so you can enjoy a little relaxation too!

I think everyone is in a crazy mode right now! Bridal showers, weddings, graduations etc. I have all the above plus my lyme disease has reared its ugly head again! I would love to come and relax at your campground!:-) But of course too busy!!

Send us pictures of how you set up your studio in your camper - love to see how you do it! Good luck with everything!
Tracey

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cher Duncombe said...

Every photo you share with us displays the beauty by which you are surrounded. That must give you wonderful inspiration for your exquisite creations. It look idyllic where you are.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I'm glad you're seeing the coming summer. It keeps getting colder around here, and spring isn't quite taking hold yet. We have all the green, like in those beautiful pictures of yours, but the flowering plants aren't quite doing it.

Unknown said...

Beautiful landscape!
By the way, I've given you a link on my post for "Q"-words. Hope you don't mind that I have featured your lovely quartz earrings and bracelet.
Hugs,
Anna

http://annasadornments.blogspot.com/2010/05/q-as-in-quilts-quartz-abc-wednesday.html#links

Katherine said...

Summer mode for us won't start until the first week of June. But OH how I can't WAIT for it! I still have to work... same old same old. But for the kids to be out of school? AWESOME.

Watch out for ticks! ;)

Katherine
http://www.shoot-me-now.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin