Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Rustling Corn Fields



Now that our mostly rainy October has passed and things have dried out, the corn, bleached beige by the hard frosts, is about ready to pick. The most noteworthy aspect of all these acres of corn is the sound. It's actually quite spooky. Breezes shake and rattle the stalks and the rustling sound seems a bit ominous and threatening. Or could it be I've read one too many Stephen King novels that I can let my imagination run wild like this?

I spoke with the farmer who plants and harvests these fields a couple of days ago about when he'd be picking here. Our northern Illinois weather has conspired against local farmers. The month of May was way too wet way too late, and much of the planting was weeks, even a month, behind schedule. We made up some for lost time with good enough heat and regular moisture as summer passed and the grain grew. But now, the wetness of the fall makes the harvest later than expected.

And actually, it's not really a huge problem...except for the hunters. Pheasant and deer hunting are often the best around the edges of harvested corn fields. Corn gets dropped during the harvest to become free food attracting many of the local critters. Since the stalks are so tall, removing them greatly increases lines of sight for hunters.

While we haven't hunted pheasant on this farm in quite awhile, I was surprised and delighted today to come upon a couple of rather large, very beautiful pheasant feathers while walking with Dakota. So now I know to be on the lookout for these lovely birds as perhaps they have moved back into our area! This would be a wonderful development and no, I don't want any hunters to take them if they are here.

10 comments:

VanillaSeven said...

Never had chance to hunt wild animal before. Must be fun! Happy hunting Karen :)

http://vanillaseven.com/2009/11/12/a-day-with-escalator/

J. M. P. said...

I'm amazed at how similar to my country everything is: the hunting in harvested fields, the corn, the farmer and his enemy, the weather (no pheasants here though, only quails and partridges). Now I have something interesting to tell to my neighboring farmers!

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

I love the color of "bleached beige" corn stalks. It's beautiful!

Unknown said...

Oh my....these photos remind me of my drive back to Canada...I have never experienced so many miles of Corn Fields.

Awesome photo captures !

Sandee said...

We have many, many thousands of acres of corn in this area every year. Feed corn we call it. It is spooky to hear the wind rustled through it too. I can so relate. Our is long gone however. We live in such a dry area of central California.

Have a terrific day. :)

Unknown said...

you have done it again with your amazing photography! these photos are excellent! have a great day my friend...hugz!

Ann said...

Oh I love Stephen King novels. I drove by a dried corn field the other day with the sun shining over it and it was just so beautiful.
That would be great if you have the pheasants around, hope we'll be seeing some pictures.

Joanne Olivieri said...

Corn fields are not something I see everyday and I really LOVE these photos. They are real, detailed and refreshing.

Jordasche Bledsoe said...

Up close and personal! Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I don't remember ever hearing the sounds of cornstalks, but I've heard some similar plants, and it can be pretty unnerving at times. Every year I plan on going through a corm maze so I can hear this sound, but I always remember too late.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin