Monday, November 16, 2009

Exhibition Summary





Thanks so very much for all the kind and encouraging remarks and wishes on my "Etsyversary" yesterday. It means a lot to get a pat on the back now and then, for sure, and I'm very happy to get feedback from my readers and fellow bloggers!

To backtrack a couple of days, here are some images from the recent show I was in last Sunday. It was pretty big! And it was all jewelry, which made it pretty darn competitive....I have to wonder, since I'm pretty new at the face to face approach here, if being included in a more mixed group of vendors wouldn't be a better format? It's certainly something to consider, now that I've participated in one of each the past 2 Sundays.

But I did get some fairly decent photos during the show, and I'm happy to include shots of my own set up because I felt I learned a few things from the weekend before and made a few changes and improvements, so that was satisfying. I kept it so simple. The boxes: shoe boxes, file boxes, wine boxes-that I packed all my stuff into got emptied at the show, covered in fabric, and used to set up some staging for the pieces. I did see some pretty elaborate display set ups, and also some even simpler than mine. It was very educational. I also met a number of really nice people both as customers and as vendors...including a fair number of folks who are also using Etsy. The common thread was--everyone was from Chicago and the surrounding area.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Karen,
That looks really impressive! I bet you were tired when that was over though.
I wish I could exhibit like that at some point. I would imagine that you really learned alot fast being in those shows. I know I learn alot or start thinking about solutions to jewellery-making problems as soon as I see a woman wearing her jewellery!
Nice that you shared this on your blog to remind the rest of us that there are other ways of selling handmade jewellery than just online.
Whenever I meet other women and show them my pieces, I make discoveries about what length of a necklace or earrings that really fits an individual. Just a few small changes can make a big difference. (Hmm... maybe I should write a post about this?)
All the best
Anna

Duni said...

The venue looks very grand, and your display looks very professional to me. I have not participated in a craft show/exhibition yet, but I have attended quite a few...I think it's important there is enough space in the aisles, which this showroom certainly had.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea with the boxes...never thought of that. Looks great, girl!

Split Rock Ranch said...

Your exhibit looked great. Wow - lots of competition. So, I suppose the big question is, did you make some sales? I love the face to face with customers at events but by the end of the weekend you are so exhausted you just want to toss everything into the truck and trailer and go home to SLEEP! At least your items are smaller and hopefully easier to put away than the huge display we use at shows.

Unknown said...

i also think you did a great job of setting up. and was also wondering about your success with this venue. have a wonderful day...hugz!

Joanne Olivieri said...

You had a very beautiful and inviting display. I love shows like this, they are so much fun.

Wendy said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your display! It looks great! I am just starting to do more of this type of selling myself. :)

Mrs Sweetwater said...

Great Set Up Karen. I normally use black and keep it as vertical as possible. no doubt you had great sales because your jewelry is beautiful.

I found out that I could draw more interest by doing simple demo's at my table, which is why I always put earhooks on, twist bangles and make a few simple wirewraps to draw a crowd and to get those sales.

Ann said...

Your display looks very nice. I can imagine that a show with all jewelry vendors would be much more competitive.

Lin said...

Darn it! Darn it! Darn it! I wish I would have went! It looks awesome.

Cher Duncombe said...

Your display was lovely! I am sure you got a lot of attention. It looks like a fun time, though I can imagine it was a lot of work. We are happy to have you back!

Anonymous said...

It looks lovely. I must say, as a consumer, I prefer shows that have a mix of items. You can just go into sensory overload when its all one thing.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin