Thursday, September 24, 2009
Finally, the New Floor
All that's left to finish are a few missing screws and a couple of thresh holds where different flooring materials meet.
The "wood" is actually this amazing product called "Konecto"--and although not as difficult to install as either true wood or a sheet vinyl--it is a thick, heavy product and I was very challenged to cut it with a utility knife. The "planks" are actually individual pieces with adhesive cleverly put on tabs around all four edges so that the end result is a floating floor, but all "tabbed" together to become one large, fitted piece. The "trim" was simply plain pine quarter round, sealed with a couple of coats of Varethane to make it more water resistance.
I laid an underlayment, also made by Konecto, because out of view in the earlier photos, some pretty large pieces of the sub floor were removed and replaced. Besides adding insulation, the underlayment is there to "smooth" the rough surfaces below the flooring.
For the final customization, the whole area on the right, also illustrated as the open area below the window, will NOT have the original "couch/bed" replaced. Rather, I'm putting together a special folding table and chair in order to use this end of the camper as a "seasonal art studio." I've decided this needs to be kept flexible, though, because at other times, I put in two or three comfortable folding chairs in the space when guests visit (in case the weather is bad.) If visitors "take turns" moving, I can have up to 8 guests at one time...just barely! Frankly, if I do have guests coming, I'd prefer to use the large deck area!