Thursday, July 30, 2009

And A Few More Asiatic Lilies









The Asiatic lilies are winding down now. It's nearly time to survey them all with a clippers in hand to remove the seed pods that may try to form if the flower was pollinated. With most true bulbs, it's typical to remove any seed pods in order to put energy down into the bulb as this is the preferred way to multiply these plants in the garden. And seeds rarely breed true, especially when the plants are a hybrid.

It seems that the typical disease problems for lily foliage aren't too bad this year which is such a surprise considering we've had so much wet weather...which usually allows for some of the bacterial and fungal diseases to multiply and spread quickly.

What's left for lilies here? Just a few different Oriental lilies are budded up but not quite opened, including one of my favorites: Casa Blanca, a pure white beauty with an amazing fragrance....stay tuned!

7 comments:

Joanne Olivieri said...

These lilies are so vibrant and refreshing. The colors amazing and your talent for photography inspires me.

Amy Lilley Designs said...

absolutely beautiful....have a great weekend!!!

Jess Villarin Quijano said...

HELLO friend. WOW, these are adoringly beautiful flowers!! I enjoy pouring through your post here. Keep up with the good work of making relevant information.

Bonnie Story said...

Spectacular colors - and as I scroll down I see colors leaping off the screen and into my heart! That double-daylilly in the previous post is a showstopper!! I'm really enjoying your photography! Beautiful. I like your charcoal-color page background, not so brooding as black but really shows off your photos. That's a wonderful African Gray parrot. I'll be back! Bonnie

Mrs Sweetwater said...

ooooooooo how I wish you could divide and send a few of those myway. ooooooo those stargazers I can smell through the photo. and the fuscia, what is that called Dancing Lady ? ooooo, I am drooling again.

WillOaks Studio said...

I'm just delighted that each of you enjoys visiting "my gardens" as it's truly been an extraordinary summer! I really appreciate all of your kind remarks, too--thank you!

Icy BC said...

How beautiful and there are so many wonderful colors of these lilies! Love them!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin